I am the kind of person who has a tendency to be very much in my head. I overanalyze things, dwell on the negative, and can always think of a worst-case scenario. This tendency has no doubt contributed to a lot of the depression and apathy that has marked much of my life until very recently.
This morning, a lot of those old patterns began to surface and I could feel myself getting stressed, anxious and angry. Thankfully, I have built up a little tool kit of coping mechanisms. The one I want to share with you today seems ridiculously simply, but is actually quite profound.
Periodically, especially when I start to dwell on negative things or what is missing in my life, I like to make a list of the positives in my life- the things that I am grateful for.
Today, it looked like this:
1. I am grateful for the changes that have taken place in my life in terms of diet, spirituality and my relationship with myself.
2. I am grateful that Dan is on board for all of it.
3. I am grateful for the long walk we took this morning and the happy look on Tater´s face as she was exploring the tunnels.
4. I am grateful for the sunny day and the promise of spring
5. I am grateful for the raw ice cream sundae with vanilla cashew ice cream, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, goji berries, almond butter, strawberries and bee pollen.
6. I am grateful for friends who push me until I actually come through.
By number 2 or 3, I could tangibly feel my mood lifting.
So, try it- honestly, you´ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain!