Hola! I hope everything is going great in your world today. I’ve been feeling a bit blah recently, but fortunately today I felt better. I think that simply being 9 months pregnant and the subsequent aches and fatigue that come with it are partially to blame, and then the rest of it is due to feeling a bit trapped by not having a car. I’ve been living car-free for about 8 years now, well ever since I moved away from the USA. Don’t get me wrong, it has been an experience, one that I am happy to have had as my American sensibilities were entirely too comfortable with the status quo. Now that I am not as mobile as before, however, it has been increasingly difficult to get about on foot and in public transport to some places- most notably the mountains, as I am DYING to go have a dip in a cold mountain stream again before the baby comes. We’ll see how that works out, but for now I am just trying to be with my feelings and remember that nothing is permanent, even when it seems like it is.
We have been in the market for a new water filter for a while now because even though Madrid is said to have the best water in all of Spain, it smells. Some days are worse than others but you can seriously smell the chemicals they use in your drinking glass, even after having been passed through a Brita filter. As we aren’t planning to be here for much longer, we didn’t want to invest too much money in something that would be impossible to bring with us whenever we move. After much deliberation, we decided on this getup:
This is the Adya Clarity water filter system. It has a ceramic filter at the top, and then passes through another layered filter of carbon, zeolite, sand and something else that I can’t remember right now 😛
You can either use the Adya Clarity mineral solution with it, or not. We decided to give it a go, despite all the controversy with that product as at the moment the verdict is out and our water situation is so dire that we felt called to quite drastic measures!!
We ordered it from one of my favourite companies, Unlimited Health in Amsterdam. Along with our filter, I had to get a few more goodies that are impossible to get around here. I got:
A big bag of xylitol, coconut butter, mulberries, cacao paste and irish moss. I am planning on using the mulberries, irish moss and coconut in this Mulberry Mousse recipe at Sweetly Raw.
As a treat, I also bought myself this tiny little morsel:
I was honestly underwhelmed by this product. I was expecting something more, well..decadent I suppose, LOL! It was a glorified date/nut bar just like a Larabar or similar. Another peeve of mine is that it was sweetened with agave AND dates. I know that is a personal thing but I find it too much. Oh well, just more evidence that I prefer my own treats to store bought ones, which is a win!
On to my eats for the last few days…
Yesterday (Tuesday) I had:
- Breakfast- soy yogurt with sliced donut peaches and buckwheaties
- second breakfast- green smoothie with avocado, kale, frozen peaches, frozen berries, maca, health force nutritionals greener grasses powder and vanilla stevia
- that tiny Raw Decadence bar you see above 😉
- coconut oil+carob+goji+mulberry choccie . Hubby came home from work for lunch and wanted something sweet, so I whipped this up for him. Of course, I had to share! I had this with a a green tea.
- Lunch- brown basmati rice with tofu, red peppers, eggplant and kale
- watermelon gelato (like watermelon sorbet but with cashew milk instead of water mmmmm)
- small bowl of popcorn
- Dinner-corn pasta with red lentil bolognese sauce
I ate A LOT of food that day, mostly in the morning and then snacks between meals. I felt absolutely ravenous though, and I really don’t want to limit myself. I did go a bit overboard on the sweet stuff.
That looks great in comparison to today though!
So far today, I have had:
- breakfast-two rice cakes with some scrambled tofu
- soy yogurt with some oats and stevia
- lunch- three rice cakes spread with peanut butter and vegan tofutti mozzarella cheese
- coffee with soy milk and some gluten free cookies and peanut butter.
There are no veggies in there yet! I know that tonight a big salad for dinner is out of the question as we are using up all of the odds and ends from the fridge before our next organic veg delivery comes. Most likely, it will be brown basmati rice with a vegetable stir fry of sorts and a Thai peanut sauce.
Enjoy your afternoon!